Recipe Type: Dinner
- 1 large eggplant or two medium
- Two medium tomatoes
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 onion (red or yellow)
- 1 pepper (bell, Santa Fe or Italian)
- Fresh or dried oregano
- Fresh or dried basil
- Big Bag shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 pound of chard (spinach or kale would work too)
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Heavy Cream
- Bruschetta: Dice like you would for salsa: onion, tomato, pepper add to a bowl, keeping 1/4 of the onion and 1/4 of the pepper out to the side for later. Mince 2-3 cloves garlic oregano if it’s fresh or about 1 tsp dried. Juliene the basil leaves if it’s fresh or a tbsp if it’s dried. Juliene the basil leaves if it’s fresh or a tbsp if it’s dried. Add herbs & garlic to the same bowl. Add olive oil till all looks coated, then add a ¼ c balsamic and salt and pepper to taste. Mix it up and let it sit while you do the rest.
- Eggplant: cut the skin off, and then cut the eggplant into rounds. You don’t want it paper thin, maybe around ¼ in thick. Spray a cookie sheet or two with olive oil (any spray is fine) lay the eggplant rounds out in a single layer spray with oil then salt, pepper, and garlic powder as desired. I usually have to use two cookie sheets so I can put it all in the oven at once. Roast in the oven for 10min. Flip the rounds and roast for another 3-5min.
- Chard saute: If your using chard or kale remove the ribs and chop into 2 in peaces. Slice remaining garlic cloves. In a saute pan add about a table spoon of olive oil, and a spoon full of pesto let heat 2 min then add the remaining onion and peppers saute for another 2 min then add the chard/kale/spinach and saute for 5 min or until it looks cooked down.Add about ¼ c heavy cream let it reduce till it looks like it’s getting more sauce like.
- Stacking: In a greased casserole dish start your stacks. I usually do about 4-6 stacks depending on how much eggplant I have. Start with the bigger rounds on the bottom then layer chard mixture, bruschetta, cheese eggplant repeating till all the eggplant is used. I top it with bruschetta and more cheese. Return to the oven for about 10 min or until it’s bubbly.