- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 head of lettuce washed, pat to dry and whole leaves pulled away from the head
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ c Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 8oz can whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- **optional grated carrots instead of water chestnuts, small dice of squash, some diced broccoli and finely diced hot peppers for heat.
Heat olive oil in a pan. Add ground chicken or turkey and cook until browned making sure to crumble the meat as it cooks, drain any excess liquid.
Stir in garlic, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger and any other optional items you would like to add (we also added bell pepper), stirring until onion is translucent. Stir in chestnuts and green onions until tender, season with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon several tablespoons of meat mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco style.
You may desire to have some extra hoisin sauce to drizzle on top before embarking on this delectable meal.